|Comprehensive School Counseling Program|
At Edy Elementary School, the counselor spends her time in these areas:
- Guidance Curriculum – teaching the guidance curriculum/standards in classrooms or with planned small groups. Lessons are proactive, prevention based and data driven.
- Individual Planning with Students – working with small groups or individual students concerning educational plans, appraisals, and advisement
- Responsive Services – responding to crisis situations, individual problems, groups of students with an immediate needs, etc.
- System Support – program planning, professional development, community relations, consultations with teachers and others concerning the program, data analysis, program evaluation and student results, etc.
The school counselor concentrates on the following areas when working with students:
Academic Domain states that students will:
- Acquire attitudes, knowledge and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and across the life span.
- Complete school with the academic preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial post-secondary options, including college.
- Understand the relationship of academics to the world of work and to life at home and in the community.
Personal/Social Domain states that students will:
- Acquire the knowledge, attitudes and interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and others.
- Make decisions, set goals, and take necessary action to achieve goals.
- Understand safety and survival skills.
Career Domain states that students will:
- Acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Employ strategies to achieve future career goals with success and satisfaction.
- Understand the relationships between personal qualities, education, training and the world of work.